Treatment and prophylaxis of infections caused by metronidazole susceptible microorganisms (mainly anaerobic bacteria).
Metronidazole is indicated in adults and children for the following indications:
- Infections of the central nervous system (e. g. brain abscess, meningitis)
- Infections of lung and pleura (e. g. necrotising pneumonia, aspiration pneumonia, lung abscess)
- Infections in the gastrointestinal tract and the abdominal area (e.g. peritonitis, liver abscess, postoperative infections after colonic and rectal surgery, purulent diseases in the abdominal and pelvic cavities)
- Gynaecological infections (e. g. endometritis, after hysterectomy or caesarean section, childbed fever, septic abortion)
- Infections in the ear-nose-throat and tooth-mouth-jaw regions (e. g. PLAUT-VINCENT-angina)
- Bone and joint infections (e. g. osteomyelitis)
- Gas gangrene
- Septicaemia with thrombophlebitis.
In a mixed aerobic and anaerobic infection, antibiotics appropriate for the treatment of the aerobic infection should be used in addition to Metronidazole B. Braun 5 mg/ml.
A prophylactic use is always indicated prior to operations with a high risk of anaerobic infections (gynaecologic and intra-abdominal operations). Consideration should be given to official guidance on the appropriate use of antibacterial agents.
Ecoflac® plus: 100 ml
Information may differ in your country. Before prescribing refer to nationally approved prescribing information.